- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried or fresh thyme leaves
- 1 (15-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (5-ounce) container plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shaved, plus more for garnishing
Heat butter and olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery, and sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and sauté until just fragrant. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomato paste, paprika, cumin and thyme and cook 2 more minutes.
Add drained red peppers, tomatoes, and chicken broth. Let simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender and flavors have melded together. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Using either a hand-held immersion blender or regular blender, puree until smooth. Add Greek yogurt, half-and-half and Parmesan cheese. Stir until combined and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
Serve in soup bowls and top with shaved Parmesan cheese.