Dannon® Yogurt Recipe Contest
Above: Joe Vigil (left), 16, and Julian Salazar, 17, serve the award-winning Cat’s Meow Garlic Chicken Alfredo Pizza to fellow students at Central High School. Photo credit: The Pueblo Chieftain.
Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia schools among winners of Dannon® Yogurt Recipe Contest
March 14, 2017
ATLANTA – Heard Elementary School of Macon, Georgia, Carpenters Elementary School of Maryville, Tennessee, and Crestwood Intermediate School of Chesapeake, Virginia were among the grand-prize winners of the recent Dannon® Yogurt Recipe Contest. Dannon Foodservice, Fuel Up to Play 60 and the National Dairy Council co-sponsored the pilot contest to showcase the culinary skills of K-12 students from seven select school districts, as well as the versatility and nutritional benefits of yogurt.
The contest encouraged students to show their creativity by developing an original recipe containing yogurt. Each recipe had to be crafted by at least two students, have nutrition profiles that meet guidelines for use in the U.S. Department of Agriculture National School Lunch or School Breakfast programs and use two to five ingredients. Officials at each winning school also had to enact plans to include the new recipe in their school’s menu.
In addition to students building confidence and nutrition awareness, each grand-prize school received Dannon and Fuel Up to Play 60-branded foodservice equipment valued at $4,000. The seven winners were:
- YO-Straw-Nana Crunch by Carpenters Elementary, Maryville, Tennessee
- Cat’s Meow Garlic Chicken Alfredo Pizza by Central High School, Pueblo, Colorado
- Crestwood’s Island Breakfast Bars by Crestwood Intermediate School, Chesapeake, Virginia
- Breakfast Parfait with Fruit by Heard Elementary School, Macon, Georgia
- Holiday Apple Spice Yogurt by Heath Middle School, Greeley, Colorado
- Trojan Blast by Jarrett Middle School, Springfield, Missouri
- Danno-licious by Ontario High School, Ontario, Oregon
Dannon also selected six runners-up from the following schools: Belmont Elementary School in Colorado, Butts Road Primary School in Virginia, Centennial Elementary School in Colorado, East High School in Colorado, Hickory Hills Elementary School in Missouri and Pershing Middle School in Missouri.